Perfect for a winters day! This recipe is an adaption of my all-time childhood favourite my Mum used to make for us 7 kids growing up. Slightly tweaked to omit the sugar, wheat and processed dairy the original recipe contains. Enjoy hot or delicious served cold too! Don’t forget to serve with vegetables!
1kg minced steak (or premium beef mince)
1kg turkey mince
1/4 cup chia seeds
4 onions, peeled and finely chopped
4 teaspoons ‘blossoms organic’ curry powder
1/2 bunch fresh parsley
murray river salt
freshly ground pepper
BBQ Sauce Ingredients
6 medjool date, pitted (alternative: can substitute with 1/2 cup coconut sugar)
1 cup water
1 cup gluten free tomato sauce
1/2 cup gluten free Worcestershire sauce
4 tablespoons vinegar
2 teaspoons instant coffee
60g organic butter
4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Note: If using dates as a substitute for sugar in the BBQ sauce, start your prep by soaking pitted dates in 1 cup of water.
- In a large bowl or food processor combine mince, chia seeds, finely chopped onions, curry powder, lightly beaten eggs, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Shape meat into loaf and bake at 180 degrees in a fan forced oven for 30 minutes.
- Start preparing BBQ sauce.
- After 30 minutes, remove meatloaf from oven. Pour sauce over meatloaf, return to oven and bake for a further 45 minutes basting regularly with BBQ sauce. (I basted once – I’m to busy!)
BBQ Sauce Method
- Place pitted medjool dates and water in saucepan and set aside to soak while you prepare the meatloaf.
- Once meatloaf has been place in the oven, add all remaining ingredients to the saucepan. Bring to boil over a low heat then simmer for 5 minutes.